Sunday, May 13, 2007

Retro Reviews

Bert Grant's Perfect Porter
Consumed: May 2001

WHAM! Chocolate. POW! Coffee. This was the beer that truly opened the door for me, and led to have a much greater appreciation for experiencing rather than getting sloppy. This is my model for a perfect porter. Call me biased, but this is my blog! :)

I had this beer while on vacation in Florida, and haven't been able to get it here, in Maryland, ever!

I don't know if I will ever have a beer quite as good as this one, as it paved the way for an obsession.

RIP Bert Grant, 2001

Grade: A++


Hoegaarden (on draft, in Ottawa)
Consumed: say, 2005?

Man, what can I say? A gigantic glass filled with bananas and cloves. That about sums it up.

I fell in love with this at first sniff. It had a super pale yellow/green color with a good solid 2 fingers of head. It was so good, that every night on my business trip I went back to the same pub and ordered it!

The restaurant served a wood-fired pizza with grilled chicken and veggies on top that this witbier absolutely complemented perfectly!

It still remains as one of my top 10 beers!

Grade: A+

No comments: