Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Legends Limited 2nd Annual Fall Trade Show

While at the Ft. Meade Oktoberfest, we were lucky enough to meet Dan Bosserman, a sales manager for Legends Limited. After chatting for a few minutes about some beers he was representing, he asked if we weren't busy Monday night we were welcome to attend Legends Fall trade show. Of course, we accepted his offer and made our way down there around 6:30 Monday night.

They had a very nice setup with a big pavilion over the entrance that led into their warehouse. I tell you what, I have never seen more beer in my life! There were kegs, pallets, and cases stacked to the ceiling! It was so cool. There were several beers and wines on display from various breweries and vineyards. It looked like Belgian's stole the show.

I began with a pale ale (that I unfortunately don't recall what it was) that was poured by a guy who looked like he'd rather be anywhere but there - I thanked him and we moved on.

We moved on to Lakefront Brewery and there were two pretty nice guys representing the brewery who were there on short notice. I got to try their Fuel Cafe, which is a coffee stout, a bit roasty and strong. Rachel got to try the Golden Maple Root Beer, which is flavored with (duh) maple syrup. That was really tasty. We both enjoyed it. They also had something called New Grist, which is a gluten-free beer, so those afflicted by Celiac disease can enjoy a brew. NG is definitely an acquired taste, completely unlike barley malt-based beer; however, it was very drinkable.

Our next stop was to Oskar Blues. The fella working the table was kind enough to pour my first sample of Dale's Pale Ale. Man, I tell you what, that is how beer in a can should taste: full of hops and flavor! This would be an awesome trick to play on your pals that drink Bud Light. :) That's their secret, OB was the first microbrewery to brew and can their own beer. Contrary to what the mega-breweries have forced down our throat (cans = bad), modern canning technology (sounds weird, huh?) has experienced several innovations, where what is inside may essentially last forever. Delicious! I did not try the two other beers they had there, as I feel that I would have been on my ass, early.

We mozied along and saw a table with Great Divide's brews. Stupid me should have stopped by for some Hades and Samurai.

I stopped by a small setup, by the Merchant Du Vin table, where I had Belzebuth by Brasserie Grain D'Orge. The neck label had a big "13" printed on it, as the gentleman poured it for me, I asked what the number meant. He was quick to point out that this was a modest 13% ABV beer. Dumbfounded by this beer (I had only ever heard of it by name), I took a big whiff. The nose was incredibly full of malt (and the bottle is labeled "pur malt") and some spicy esters. I'll say it was sweet, but not cloying, and had an immediate warming effect. Belzebuth would be wonderful next to a fire on a cold winter night, with one bottle split among many friends.

The tour took us to the Bitburger/Augustiner stand, (Bitburger is one of my perennial favorites). There I sampled Maximator and Lagerbier Hell from Augustiner.

Next door were several Belgian offerings, with some that I especially wanted to try, including the Bosteels Brewery Kwak. Kwak was a super beer - tastes of mango and coriander. Dominick, the fella who was pouring it, was very pleasant but kind of cocky. I think I would have been too if I were a homebrewer (which I am, of course, and he was) getting a chance to strut my stuff by working a trade show. He explained that his club (I forgot their name) gets to work with the brewers at DuClaw and collect their second runnings for some special club brews. (I have to admit, I am not part of a club - yet - but I am more interested in Jim at DuClaw getting that Colossus [21% ABV] on tap!) Dom knew his stuff though, which was very cool. Next, he poured Belgium's answer to West Coast hopped beer. I have no idea what it was (although he poured it from a champagne bottle) but it was definitely a Belgian and definitely a hop MONSTER! Very good, very smooth, with lots of fun fruity esters. The Kwak was extraordinarily nice too! Easy on the palette with malt and fruit highlights.

Lagunitas Brewing Company was our next to last stop. They had three beers there: their IPA, Chronic... err, I mean Censored, and Imperial Red. The IPA was bitey and gently teetered on the edge of a traditional IPA and American IPA. The Red was, whew, like a big red IPA - it was a remarkable beer. Censored was caramely, but I can't recall more... We really liked the guy who was pouring for us. He explained that he was from the Tahoe region, 2 hours from the brewery, and told us about the history of the brewery - from their humble beginning up to now; their regular and seasonal line up; and his relation to the company. Very awesome!

Our adventure ended with Cape Ann Brewing Company. We actually were headed on our way to thank Dan, but the young woman who was 'manning' the station (next to a seemingly popular wine station) asked if I'd like to try a sample of their Pumpkin Stout. It was a very roasty beer that actually burned on the sides of my tongue. I was not able to detect any spice or pumpkin, just intense roast. I think they may need to go back and rethink
  1. putting pumpkin in a stout
  2. putting pumpkin in a stout
  3. putting pumpkin in a stout
  4. putting pumpkin in a stout
  5. their general stout recipe
However, I would like to try their other beers.

Weyerbacher was also there. Unfortunately it was time to go, so next time I will have to try Blithering Idiot and Simcoe IPA.

Again, a big thanks to Dan Bosserman and the crew at Legends! We had a blast!

Nick

No comments: