Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cheers to Emma!

(The original title of this post was "What's in the box, man?")


I recently placed my first order with Northern Brewer, where I ordered a brewing kit, their homebrewing DVD set (for future review), and the obligatory shirt.

My focus is really on the kit: Emma's Ale.

A lot of you might all ready know this, but for those who don't, allow me to recap.

Chris German, of Brewers Supply Group, has a 4-year old daughter named Emma, who was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, a form of brain cancer. Chris' homebrew club, Jack of All Brews, called all around the state to organize a benefit to help their friend and his family. At the same time, the crew at Northern Brewer learned of Emma's story and created the Emma's Ale kit, where 100% of the proceeds from the sale of that kit go to pediatric cancer research at the Children's Hospital and Clinics of Minnesota.

The outpouring of support from the community was staggering. And the update provided in October of 2011 states that, after Emma's last bone marrow transplant, Emma's cancer is in full remission!

This story touched me dearly, as I had a childhood friend who lost the battle to cancer, and anything I can do to contribute to those trying find a cure to that bitch, I'm going to do. You should too.

I love you and miss you, Anthony.

Here are all of the links for more information:

- Posted using BlogPress

2 comments:

Radon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Radon said...

I am so happy for Emma!!! I find what you have done is so wonderful! I am sorry that you lost your friend Anthony, I lost one of my good friends to cancer at the age of 8! so I know how it is.. What you have done is wonderful! Keep on brewing!! :)

I always try to find a new brewery in michigan when I can!