Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's gonna be a two post day

First, I wanted to review a beer over lunch.

Last night, I popped into Cranberry Liquors and picked up a variety of things including Bard's Tale gluten-free sorghum beer.



I feel so incredibly sorry for those afflicted by Celiac Disease, and those who may live in regions of the world without the benefit of the flavor of barley. This beer may be an outlet for them, but is certainly no outlet for me.

The brew poured a beautiful amber color, with a white head that didn't retain for any amount of time. I imagine that's due to a lack of compounds that help build lacing and assist with head retention. (Like those found with using wheat malt.)

Then there was the aroma and the flavor...

At first whiff, I was smacked in the face with rubbing alcohol. I don't know what would cause that kind of scent, but was not nice. I then took a sip and tasted more of what I'd call a rubbing alcohol note, with a very, very dry finish. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, just unpleasant. There are grassy hops in here too, but they play second fiddle to the rest. The body and mouthfeel are very thin: This beer could be refreshing if they could give it a bit more chew.

Easy first: The beer really needs a bit more sweetness to knock the dryness out.

Then, there's that aroma (& flavor). I can't fix that, and I don't know where to even try.

For my first gluten-free beer, I guess it's okay. But it's nothing that I'd buy again.

- Posted using BlogPress from my mobile

No comments: