Monday, July 18, 2011

A day of field trips

Saturday sure was a busy day-I woke up early to go help my dad pick up some furniture and move it to my parent's house. After we did that, my mom treated us to an absolutely wonderful hot Italian sausage pizza. Man, that was so tasty.

Afterward, I cut out and had the chance to visit Olney Ale Werks. While there was nothing on tap, per se, I was treated to imbibe on a magical brew by the name of Weyerbacher Insanity. And I fully understand why this beer earned an A- from Beer Advocate.

This 11% monster is made by letting their Blithering Idiot barleywine soak in oak barrels, formerly used for aging bourbon, and boy does it shine! After pouring the beer, letting it sit out for a good few minutes and admiring the tight tan head and blood orange/ruby body, I plunged my nose into the glass, and was assaulted (in a good way) by this freak of the wood. Notes of oak, caramel, bourbon and alcohol went right up the old sinus passageways. And after sipping, oh man, it was an all-out assault on the senses: BAM-toffee, BAM-vanilla, BAM-oak, BAM BAM BAM. It was so tasty.

I'll have you know this is an extremely dangerous beer! If one didn't know better, that 11% could sneak right up on you like a ninja, and roundhouse kick you in the medulla oblongata. Say goodnight, Gracie. I'm very glad I a. read the label, b. only had a half-pour.

We bobbled about the brew house for a little while chatting, and decided to take a convoy to Annapolis Homebrew. I hadn't been there in over two years, and Mrs. Olney Ale Werks pulled up a recent review saying that they recently renovated and expanded their shop. Sweet!

When we got there, we could see that business had been good. The old half of the shop was still there with kits, extract, adjuncts, gear, etc. But the new half of the shop was a real beauty! Sampling stations, brewing/demonstration area, hops & yeast coolers, big-ass brewing sculpture (for sale): it was swanky indeed. Brooks & crew have been hard at work transforming that place.

I picked up some ingredients, some yeast, some champagne bottles and a recharge on my CO2. I'm happy to do business there--though it is a bit out of the way. As they say, support your local brewery. The same philosophy applies to your local homebrewing supply shop too.

Once I get this summer brew going, I will be sure to post photos & the like.

Until then, keep on brewing!

No comments: