Sunday, August 21, 2011

When you need some help falling asleep...


Turn to a double IPA. This animal is Serum from DuClaw Brewing Company, and was in a growler given to me by The Flyin' Wop as thanks for helping him out with a move.

Even though he had the growler for two weeks before he saw me again, I'd say this style can take a lot of what time can dish out.

The growler popped when I opened it and held a wonderful orange colored, "thick" liquid, like a honey liqueur- with no head, really. The pour was nice, viscous like a liquor, sending up waves of aromatic lupulin straight into your sinuses.

At first sip, you get something different, though. It's really quite sweet, with a rounded hop finish that plays the line between astringent and bitter and is a sneaky beer where the alcohol lingers on the outside, never peeking in, but letting you know it's there.

For some of you who know me, for a very long time, I was unimpressed with the beers of DuClaw. I thought a few years ago the brews were watered down and lacking in body and flavor. But, a couple of weeks ago, we had a little gathering at DuClaw Arundel Mills and, this time around, I found the beer to be radically changed for the better. (That particular night I was drinking Venom.)

So, this all tallied up earns this beer an honest 7/10. Having it fresh well could see it earn more on my scale.

- Posted using BlogPress from my mobile

No comments: